16 April 2009

Unbelieveable Daytime Messages

I just want to say right off the bat that I'm talking about sensitive issues in this blog post. Issues that some might drop their jaw at or blush about. However I feel they are real-life issues and I am moved enough to freely share my opinion about them.


I'm watching Oprah right now and just have to say I'm shocked at the message being put out on her show today as well as another show I caught a few minutes of prior to this. I thought, its nap time, I'm going to get a little talk show fix today instead of snoozing.

Before Oprah started, I watched about 5 minutes of Maury. Ok, normally I think Maury is full of cowslop and I wouldn't give it a second of my time, however, nothing was on and I had a few minutes to kill before Oprah. They had just started talking about t-shirts they were selling on the Maury website. These shirts said something to the effect of "I AM the daddy" with a fancy "M" logo underneath. Maury was very animated and excited about the shirts and, of course, each member of the audience got a free shirt that day.

On Oprah, Dr. Laura Berman is the guest and the show started out discussing masturbation in children and teens and how important it is to teach your children (up to the age of adulthood) the importance of taking the reigns when it comes to self-pleasure and their bodies. Her justification is that by doing so our children, primarily daughters, are less likely to have pre-marital intercourse with the first person that makes them feel good or valued.

PUT THE BRAKES ON! I am shocked at the messages that are being given by these talk shows. I respect Dr. Berman as a professional, but strongly disagree with this message!! And need I say much about Maury and his promotion of celebrating the fact that on national television some dude confirmed that he is the father of the Gerber-cute baby on the big screen behind the "couple" (which loosely translates into a one night stand) sitting on the stage who were just beating up on each other because the mother didn't believe that out of the 5 men he was THE one.

I just have to say that I am extremely grateful that I know that God designed a Plan of Happiness that involves strong families with a foundation based on the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful that I belong to a church that has a rock solid program for children and youth that teaches numerous values from the age of 18 months to 18 years. I am thankful that I have raised my children to NOT be as selfish as these t.v. personalities are teaching our children to be, while masking these lessons of "me me me" with the promise of a more powerful self or a control.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You hit the nail on the head...it is a 'me me me' generation, which knows nothing of self control, self respect or respect of others. I am most grateful my children are now adults, my prayers are lifted constantly for parents raising their children in God's Plan!
BTW, thanks for the affirmation of why I won't watch Oprah anymore.
~AM

Melanie Draper said...

WOWSERS!!! It's amazing what they'll put on TV these days, actually it's sad. I'm very thankful that we have the knowledge to teach and raise our children according to Heavenly Father's plan.

Megane said...

I totally agree. I rarely watch Oprah these days and I happened to turn that one on, I listened to the first few minutes then turned it off and thought about the same thing. Thank heavens we have Heavenly Father's plan and that we can know when things being taught are not right!

Denise said...

I am in complete agreement with you on this one. I quit watching Oprah when we cancelled our Dish, and havent missed watching it one time. I too am grateful that I have a source of truth to look to for guidance when raising my children to have virtue and self respect.

Anonymous said...

This is why I haven't been in favor of Oprah and her influence on the American culture. Time for Oprah to retire.