16 June 2010

I'm on his radar...

My son Tate has always had me on his radar. I can't do anything or even think anything without him knowing. We are connected. I've never been able to fool him. When I put on my best act, he's always seen through to the worst mood or saddest emotion, even as a toddler.

I still remember strolling him through Target (or was it Wal-Mart?) and at the age of 3 he saw through my smile yet again. It was one of the worst times of my life. I was going through a divorce with his father, lived back at home with my parents, and had lost many friends in the mix. My therapy, as always, was shopping and that day I had brought him with me. I didn't normally do that in an effort to avoid bringing half the toy aisles home with me, but I needed him that day.

He looked up at me with his big brown eyes and floofy afro and patted my arm while saying "Its ok Mommy, its going to be ok.". I hadn't said a word. In fact I had just been looking around the store while heading to the...yep, you guessed it...toy section. He just knew.

Today he knew, too. He knows what I'm going through right now, although I haven't actually sat him down and explained in detail. I should do that. He knew this morning I needed a lift and these short video clips are just a couple of examples of how he emerged from his "boy cave" to rescue his poor Mother who had reached her limit at only a few hours into the morning. I love my son more than I can describe.


2 comments:

Loan LyPham-Ferry said...

You have a great boy...isn't it funny how tuned in they are sometimes? There are times I think Liem knows that I am sad before I fully know...

Anonymous said...

So sweet soo soo sweet! My daughter does the exact same thing. We aren't by blood but we are connected so much by spirit. She knows everything I'm feeling and she'll ask what's wrong when she sees me hurt. I may even have a smile and she knows it's not real.