23 June 2008

I met with the branch president today to renew my temple recommend (for those of you that aren't LDS, its a short interview to confirm your worthiness to enter the temple) and something he said made me feel a lot better about Tate being gone this summer.

I told him my anxieties about Tate being away from home, not having the opportunity to attend church (at least not our church) each Sunday like he does here, not having Family Home Evening (again for those who might now know, Family Home Evening or FHE, is one night a week and a lesson or activity is planned for the family that teaches gospel principles followed by yummy treats!), not having scripture reading every day...the "glue" that holds a person together and close to Christ. Anyway...I explained to him my feelings and he said as long as I'm doing what I can at home to teach him and help him gain his own testimony of Christ, the Atonement and the Gospel, that is all I can do. And no matter where he ends up in life as he grows up, he'll always have that foundation whether he always acts on it or not. It made me feel good. It reminded me of the time in my life I was out of control and ignoring everything "churchy" I possibly could. In the back of my mind I always knew that what I'd been taught growing up was true...I just had to find out for myself. The reason I always knew it was true is because my parents never gave up on making sure I had that foundation.

It feels good to renew my recommend. Its one of my favorite things to do every couple of years. I like being able to say, out loud and with such a good feeling, that I'm worthy to enter the most sacred place on earth and take part in the most sacred ordinances on earth. I wish everyone knew what I know and knew the truthfulness of the full and restored Gospel. I can only do what I can to be a good example and to share what I know at the right times in hopes that I can help someone else feel the peace and love and safety I feel in this life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was just graduating high school. I started to drift away from Christ. It took me 5 yrs to realize how wrong my life was, and how happy I was with Christ. It was that foundation earlier in my life that I looked back to and saw how happy I was with Christ. Then I realized that my saddness and depression was all caused from being seperated from Christ.