30 August 2008

I conquered Blackie

Mount Blackie, that is. Its a "large hill" on post. Its named for its color, obviously. If you look at it compared to the other "large hills" and small mountains on post it really is the only one that looks black. There is a trail leading up to the top and I've been itching to climb since I found out it was allowed.

Last night my friend Laura and I finally did it. I had my nose splints taken out yesterday so I was cleared to finally start working out again...FINALLY! We got out to the hill and it looked SO easy. As this picture shows, it doesn't look that difficult from a distance.



Well, I was huffing and puffing before we were even halfway up. It was embarrassing to say the least. Its amazing how not working out for a few weeks drains you of any endurance that you worked to build up! Thankfully, someone as out of shape as me must've suggested placing a bench halfway up. You'd better believe I took a rest. We reached the top (it only took about 20 minutes, but felt like an hour!) and there was a picnic table, fire pit, and a cross made of metal tubes placed in a large pile of rocks. It was amazing to complete the climb. Its a mere fraction of what I plan to be able to do, but its a start. We both almost fell on the way down! Here are more pictures. They really don't do the true view justice.





3 comments:

Hannah and Benjamin Aeby said...

I know what you mean. When the power went out Ben and I took Ory up there and I was the one lagging behined. Ben would hang back with me but Ory was charging a head and every once in a while look back at us like, What's the matter guys? This is easy! Of course she is a dog, that could make things a little easier. I was surprised at how much more of a work out it is that it looks. It kicked my butt. I can't believe people run up that. Impossible I say!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing some beautiful shots!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Anonymous said...

Are you still on Irwin? I just dropped my kids off at school & hiked Blackie for the first time. Nothing like accomplishing something great before 8:30 in the morning!