28 September 2009

I never heard back from the counseling service that one of the OB doctors referred me to. Someone had left me a message on my cell phone and I called back and left her a message as well letting her know I was going to my family doctor to get a prescription for a medication to help me, but that I still wanted to hear back from her because I was interested in therapy as well. She never called back. My family doctor was great, listened to me, understood what I was saying (that I know my body, I know when I need help, etc.) and she prescribed me Zoloft and encouraged me to go ahead with the therapy. I will if they ever call me back again.

I started taking the Zoloft 6 days ago and I can already tell a slight difference. There has been a slight edge taken off my anxiety, I'm not as mad as my dogs (which doesn't sound like much, but is HUGE) for me, and I don't get as upset when my two-year-old acts out. Tomorrow I start taking a full pill (half-pills for the first week). I anticipate things only getting better.

I was nervous at first to take a medicine while breastfeeding, but I know that I wouldn't have been able to continue doing even that had I not done this. I appreciate hearing from so many people that read my blog of their experiences or support for me with this.

2 comments:

Megane said...

I hope you are feeling better. i have never really had a problem with postpartum, but have had sleep deprivation pretty well and that is bad enough with feeling in a "fog". I don't think it can compare to what you have felt though. We have a few family members who are manic depressive and it is serious stuff and that is why they have medicine to help.
I saw you that day at the mall from afar. You look great for just having a baby. Hope all is going well now!

Anonymous said...

I read stories like this and it makes me rethink the process it would take for us to get pregnant. Would it be worth it? But then I think things will pass and thank goodness for technology for meds! I feel so bad for you and women who have a hard time after pregnancy. Hang in there!