15 November 2011

Time and Flies

I realized that I'm missing an opportunity to chronicle a very important part of my life. My journey back to college as a 30-something wife and mother of 3. OK I'm only 31 but it sounds more dramatic if I say 30-something, right?

I'm going to Hawkeye Community College outside of Waterloo. There, at community college, I arrive each day to knock out another few hours of edumacation so I can eventually get to nursing school and finally, one day far from now, walk across a stage with my BSN and at last get my hands "dirty" in the medical field!

Funny, I saw someone wearing a t-shirt the other day. It was black, and in white block lettering across the front it said "community college". OK, I really did LOL.

I'm finding myself severely out of place among the college crowd and when I pass another "old person" in the hall I have to refrain from throwing out a high five. I don't dress like the young ones, I certainly don't talk like them because I'm tempted to start carrying a travel size dish soap so I can whip it out and aim for their mouths when the trash starts spilling out, and I don't have their stamina or social curiosities either. I wear mom jeans, sweatshirts, ballcaps, drive a Buick LeSabre, and carry a lunch box. Just the other day we were in groups in my Oral Communications class and we chose a topic of Playing sports with Injuries for our speech. I was chosen as group leader (again, I'm old, of course I was chosen) and when we were done and starting to stand up I said "ready, break!". Blank stares. Crickets. Only a slight sympathy giggle from the Chinese student who doesn't speak English well enough to know that it wasn't giggle worthy. Oh dear...

Random: Do you ever feel like fruit flies follow you around? They are in my kitchen, yes. But I find them near me in the library a lot. What is going on?! I swear I shower daily!

No comments: