21 July 2009

Growth

I'm so happy that I've been able to see my son experience so much growth this summer. Physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Last night, my Dad surprised my mom with a helicopter ride over downtown Des Moines and back to the air strip in Ankeny. They had room in the chopper for one more person so Tater hopped on and went on the ride. Right before the pilot came out, who by the way looked like a super skinny and tall version of Keith Urban at the age of 21, I was showing Tate a brochure about becoming a cadet in the Civil Air Defense, which can transition into the Air Force if desired. He could start when he turns 12. He wasn't too impressed with it until after the flight. I said "Now do you want to be a cadet?" and he said in his too cool voice "Yeah, maybe", but I could tell he was pumped.

He's also been doing jobs for my Dad around the farm, earning anywhere from $2-5 per job. He's been able to put money away for tithing and also his mission, but has also ended up with plenty of spending money. Last night, at the Machine Shed eating for my Mom's birthday dinner, he said he needed to use the restroom. When he came back he had used his own money to buy my mom a second birthday card because, he said, he didn't get to pick the first one out by himself, other people helped. It was a cute little card and he was so proud of himself. He's always wanting to spend his money on other people and actually has a very good sense of saving and budgeting. I'd like to think I have a lot to do with that HAHA

He's grown at least an inch, if not much more, since I arrived at the beginning of June. His shoulders are getting so broad and he talks and thinks more like a teenager instead of an innocent little kid. I think he'll be fortunate enough to get through his 11-13 year old years without hitting the "ugly" phase. You know what I'm talking about, when a kid gets too tall for his skin, face covered in pimples, and everyone starts saying "Don't worry, he's going to be one handsome fella when he gets through this "awkward" stage". I really don't think Tate is going to have to deal with that. Yesterday he put cologne on before we went to the restaurant and he squirted it 4 or 5 times and I said "Woah Tater, don't overdo it". He then reminded me that putting that much on is how to get the girls' attention.

Now that he's been going to church again every week, he's really opening up about his testimony and has been great about gathering us all together every night for family prayers before bed. He almost always insists on saying it, and has enjoyed his Sunday School class teacher and activities lately. He's working through his Faith in God book getting ready to turn 12 and graduate Primary. He'll be receiving his first level of Priesthood, Aaronic, and attending Preisthood meetings with all the other boys and men over the age of 12. He's very excited to reach this goal and get away from the little kids. Mike is doing a great job teaching him about the history of the church and his responsibilities and priviledges as a Priesthood holder and Deacon.

I'm just thrilled that he is such a wonderful big brother and son. He's on pins and needles waiting for Gunnar to be born (as are we all) and is looking forward to holding him for the first time and seeing if he "smiles" at him like he claims Mattea did.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I know he'll always be your baby no matter what! I think I will always remember those chubby little cheeks!